September 2022 SAZBA Meeting
The Southern Arizona Beekeepers Association will be holding its next monthly meeting on Tuesday, September 13th at 7:00 PM in person and via Zoom
“Keeping Your Bees Alive in a Chemical World” by David Hackenberg
David is a commercial beekeeper in Pennsylvania who has kept bees for six decades. He started with an FFA project in high school and had his own business by the time he graduated. He eventually built it to more than 3,000 colonies, but in 2006 he lost 80 percent of them due to what became known as colony collapse disorder (CCD). He was instrumental in bringing CCD to the attention of the beekeeping community.
Currently, he and his son run Hackenberg Apiaries with around 2,000 colonies. David has served as president of the Pennsylvania State Beekeepers Association and the American Beekeeping Federation and as a member of the National Honey Board and several committees of the ABF. Currently he is co-chair of the Honey Bee Health Advisory Board. He lives in Lewistown, PA, and will be joining our meeting via Zoom.
The theme of his presentation is the challenges of keeping our bees healthy in an environment in which agricultural chemical use is ubiquitous, from large growers to urban gardeners. Some of the issues he will address include
- Prevalence of chemicals in urban gardening and commercial agriculture
- Common pesticides and herbicides that are dangerous to bees
- How these chemicals affect bees
- Symptoms of chemical poisoning on colonies
- What to do if you think your bees have been poisoned, e.g., moving the colonies, stopping the bees from foraging, etc.
- Other issues:
- Effects of ag chemicals on queen quality
- Effects of ag chemicals on comb
- What to do if there is honey on an affected colony
- Good sources of information
In addition, David has invited us to bring our own questions.
Other items on the agenda
- State of the hive—what is going on in the beeyard this month
- Raffle of beekeeping tools for those attending in person
Something New! Seed/cutting/plant swap table.
Bring your extra plants, seeds, and cuttings and swap them for what you don’t have. That way we can help each other build safe pollinator forage gardens!
Join the Meeting in Person
Where: American Legion Hall, 330 W. Franklin Street, Tucson. There is plenty of free parking available at the Legion Hall and on the street.
Join via Zoom
Time: Sep 13, 2022 07:00 PM Arizona
Meeting ID: 869 9167 2898
Dial in: (346) 248-7799 US
SAZBA Tee Shirts
We have a few SAZBA tee shirts remaining from our original order. We will have them at the meeting if you want to purchase one.
Become a Member for 2022
It is not too early to pay your SAZBA dues for 2022. Individual dues are only $15 ($20 family) and those funds help SAZBA support the local beekeeping community.
You can pay your membership via PayPal on our website on our Membership Page. Please put your full name and email and “membership dues 2022” in the notes field of the PayPal payment.